Monday, August 31, 2009

a homeless encouragement

Of course the last day of the month, I have been once again inspired and changed by one of the most serendipitous of events. OK, so not really that serendipitous, nonetheless still out of the norm. Like on many occasions in my everyday life, I wasn't looking for an experience. My trip to the supermarket was no different. Get the eggs, go home. It was all going according to plan, except I felt a nudge to park my car and engage in conversation with a random homeless man sitting in the parking lot under a tree. By the way, that's the normal part.

I parked my car, and thought about it for like 2.7 nanoseconds. Enough time to remind myself that, first of all if Robert Downey Jr. talked with Jamie Foxx in The Soloist, I could do it; and secondly, that of course God would protect me. I got out of the car, and as I walked towards the man, I remembered the Soloist was just a movie; and that good thing the second thought actually holds its own.

The man was writing on a piece of cardboard, classic I thought. No fancy introductions were made. Just an awkward and quirky "watcha writing there?" sparked a, what felt like endless, conversation about a life filled with ups and lows. I found out he was on a mission to protest. He told the story of how he was involved in spreading the Gospel many years ago, but with time was taken over by false accusations and identity theft. The truth behind his life story remains a true mystery. However, what I do know about this man is that with the utmost eloquence he described this passion against social injustice and political corruption, and at the same time, his love for God.

Needless to say I was perplexed by this man. All I could think of was to pray over him, so I did. But more than that, it made me realize that there is too much lost hope in this city to sit around being a bystander of society.

This month I was honored to encounter an organization that is impacting our Central Florida city in more than many ways. Harvest Time International is a non profit charitable organization that provides relief to disaster, hunger and refugee victims in Central Florida and around the world.

I wonder what would happen to this city if there were more selfless warriors like Harvest Time International. Perhaps less confused, hopeless and hurt homeless families would roam our streets in search of more than just physical needs.



A simple prayer and two dollars later I received this gift from that man. More than just one of his many protests, I believe he gave me the gift of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment